Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 1 (8-6-09)

Not too long back I was browsing through the MTF website and noticed a thread about this West Virginia ride that was coming up shortly. So I spent some time researching it and made a few phone calls to those members who I knew would probably be attending. It didn't take long to figure out that if I got a roommate to split the hotel costs that I would be able to do this event. I had been wanting to get up to WV for a while now and this was a great opportunity to do so. A week or so later I had a roommate lined up and I was registered for the event!

I contacted Mike Brown about when he would be leaving to head that way and what route he would be taking. Well since I was Lexington, he would be heading right through my back yard to get there so we made plans to link up on his way up. Due to some prior obligations, Mike and his group wouldn't be able to make it up till around lunch time. This was fine by me as it gave me some time catch up on my beauty sleep...

The ride up was rather uneventful aside from Mike threading his bike along with the trailer between a truck and a bridge guard rail and then again in Mt. Airy but this time is a light pole and a car. (he was going slower this time)

A few hours later we were at the hotel unpacking and introducing ourselves to those that were already at the hotel. We spent the evening in the meeting room having a few drinks and "bench racing." I learned a lot that evening about the street bikes from back in the day...

No comments: